Saturday, February 22, 2014

Yarn Shopping and Link-a-Long

I'm like a kid in a candy shop today. :) My mother and I are going yarn shopping today for an infinity scarf I'm going to crochet for her. It's the final one in a series of infinities I've made, such as my Chunky Stitch Infinity here and the Cream and Pastel Infinity here. She's going to Greece soon and wants me to make a cotton infinity scarf for her. I'll have to update you later with photos of the yarn we pick out. My favorite cotton yarn brand to date is Sugar n Cream, but we might be venturing into new cotton yarn territory today!



But even more exciting than a trip to Joann Fabrics is that I'm hosting my first Link-a-Long today!!

What's a Link-a-Long, you ask? It's my way of spreading the love amongst all of us crafty bloggers and helping everyone get a little more exposure and a few extra comments on their blogs. Admit it...doesn't it make your day when someone leaves a comment on your blog? Don't you love to know that someone stopped by and found your creation useful or beautiful? I hope you'll join in and play along on what is sure to be the first of many Go Crochet Crazy Link-a-Longs! I will visit each blog linked to here and leave a comment. Here are the easy-peasy rules for your part of the game:

Go Crochet Crazy Link-a-Long Rules
  1. Leave a comment for this post and include a general link to your blog or a link to a specific blog post. I ask that your blog be craft- or home-related, no nudity or swearing, please.
  2. Visit the blogs of the two people above you and leave a comment. (Note: If you're one of the first two here, you're on your honor to come back later and comment on the last two blogs at the time of your visit.) Of course, you can comment on more, if you like.
  3. Optional: If you want to spread the love even further, share this Link-a-Long blog post through Google+ or Facebook...totally up to you!

I AM so excited! I can't wait to visit all your blogs, see what you're up to and spread a little crafty love! One things I've found as I've become more involved in the crochet community is that we're really a great group of people. I invite you to join in today's Link-a-Long to give and receive some of that wonderful kindness, camaraderie and a little love from fellow crafters. 

Update on Yarn Shopping Trip

I wanted to update you on my yarn shopping trip to Joann Fabrics yesterday.  Talking about feeling like a kid in a candy shop! I was practically frothing at the mouth as I walked up and down five aisles that looked something like this...

Oh my, the possibilities!
The sole purpose of going to Joann's was to buy cotton yarn for an infinity scarf I'm designing for my mother to wear on her upcoming trip to Greece. After much looking, and putting yarn in our basket, then taking it out again, we finally settled on a large skein of Bernat's 100% cotton in a beautiful variegated called Smokey Wine. Complementing this is a skein of Sugar n Cream's Ecru.

For an upcoming infinity scarf.
I hadn't planned on buying anything for myself -- oh the willpower involved in this! -- until I stumbled across a small section of Redheart Boutique yarn. Oh my. The swirls of color...the luxurious softness of the yarn. In a heartbeat, I knew that I must have it. One skein, the last of it's colors, had no label and was unraveling before my eyes. No matter! It called my name, loud and clear. 

I must, must, must finish the Scrapbuster afghan I'm working on for Baby S and the infinity scarf I'll be making for my mother. But as soon as I do, I can't wait to get my fingers on this:


Isn't it lovely? Someday, in the not-so-distant future, I'll be blogging about what I made with it.

In the meantime, join in on this week's Link-a-Long (rules above). We're having so much fun visiting one another's blogs! I'd love to have you play along. :)

16 comments:

  1. Here is where you can find my blog.. http://byhooks4u.blogspot.com I hope that you will stop by and have a look around. I am a thready, but once in awhile I do play with yarn. I am currently blogging about a thread eater, however scroll to older posts to see doilies and to read about who I am....hugs to everyone..hope to have you visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Vikki! First one to join in the fun! I look forward to checking out your blog shortly!

      Delete
  2. Hello! Found you through Vikki. My blog is http://yardsalesandcrochet.blogspot.com. I like to work with both thread and yarn. I just recently completed an afghan that I am really proud of. Hope you visit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Go Crochet Crazy blog, Charlotte! I'm so happy to see you here. I'm going to hop on over to your blog and see what you've been up to! Can't wait!

      Delete
  3. I smiled all the way through this post! First, because I ADORE Joann's also, and momentarily was excited too- like I was going to get to tag along. Haha.
    And then more smiles because that dog picture is just too cute!
    I can be found at http://notwithoutchaos.com It's a blog I've only recently started, so the content base is not gigantic yet- but swing on by :)
    & I'm always psyched to peruse everybody's blogs and go green with I-Wanna-Make-That-Too! kind of envy.

    -Rain
    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, I had so much fun at Joann's!! I treated myself to some gorgeous boutique yarn that I can't wait to show you guys! I'm heading over to your blog and look forward to seeing what you're up to! Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, my blog is pretty new. http://craftycrochetandthings.blogspot.com/2014/02/slouchy-hat-pattern.html?m=1 I haven't received a comment yet, I would also like to know how this pattern works for others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, t was a pleasure to stop by your blog last night! Can't wait to see how your grannies turn out. :) I left a comment on your blog but it seems to have gone straight to Google+. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment. I'm still tryingto get a hang of google. I'll check my settings. :)

      Delete
  5. Hello my name is Linda, my blog features crochet baby wear which I am making for my baby grandson. I am also designing, which can be a long but enjoyable process for me. I also do an occasional feature looking into different crochet styles that have inspiration for me with my series of 'Take some yarn' posts. My blog is linked to my google+ account. You can find me directly from my google+ page (under my page name) or use my blog url which is http://linda-dawn-designs.blogspot.co.uk/

    Shared on google+ and visting Rain and Jessica

    Hi Mary, good luck with your yarn shop with your mum, I'm sure you will both find the perfect yarn for the warmer climate of Greece. I look forward to seeing what you choose for making the infinity scarf :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Linda! Can't wait to check out your blog. :) I'm going to update this blog post soon with pictures of the yarn I bought. Oh, how I love yarn shopping!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi I cant join as too much on the fire. BUT Michaels had sugar N cream for $1.49????

      Delete
    3. SeniorPal, did they really? That sounds almost too good to be true. Although, Joann's had their new Super Size (4 oz) for $2.49, so that wasn't bad either.

      Delete
  6. Hello, I found your blog through Vikki and Charlotte above.
    This is such a fun idea. I like the idea of seeing new blogs.
    :)

    This is my blog: http://wiredtomyworld.blogspot.co.uk/

    I'm in the UK and I would LOVE to have somewhere like Joann's near me. I think I'd be in there all the time!! What a wonderful place.

    I love the yarn you chose.
    I was able to get some peaches and creme and some of the sugar n cream as well awhile back. The problem I found was that it wasn't colourfast. Is it still the same?

    Love your blog though and hope to visit it often.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kim, and thank you for stopping by! I'm heading over to visit your blog in just a moment. I hadn't heard of Sugar n Cream not being colorfast, but I do know that soaking the finished product in 50/50 white vinegar and water (or adding some to the wash cycle) will keep the colors fast.

      When I'm in Germany (which is most of the time) I also have limited places to shop for yarn. That's probably why I feel like a kid in a candy shop over here!

      Delete
  7. Sorry Mary, I meant the peaches and creme, which had some amazing colours, wasn't colourfast.
    I only had one colour of sugar n cream to try and as far as I know that was ok. I made some dishcloths with it as a present, so I can't be 100% sure.

    ReplyDelete