Thursday, February 20, 2014

Scrapbuster Project -- Free Crochet Afghan Pattern

It seems just lately that everyone's working on scrapbuster projects. I'm not sure if we feel the need to justify our next yarn purchase or make room for it. As much as I love looking at those small balls of colorful yarn, the organized, fastidious person in me likes to use things up and move on.

As I searched for a good scrapbuster project, I came across several multi-stitch afghans that people are working on. But I'd just completed something similar as an infinity scarf for my upcoming pattern eBook. I didn't want to make another scarf, although the Granny Square Scarf I blogged about here would be an ideal scrapbuster project.

Finally, I decided to make a baby afghan for my daughter R's newborn baby girl. R has tons of blankets from when her son was born almost two years ago, but consented to me crocheting this one because baby S loves a good heavy blanket and this one has a flowery motif.

Here's the yarn I started with.
The baby afghan I'm crocheting for my scrapbuster project will measure about 40 inches wide (100 cm) by about 36 inches high (90 cm). The pattern below is for this size. Adjust accordingly to make a larger afghan.

My scraps come from various brands and weighs of yarn...remember, I'm a rule breaker. To follow this pattern, you need to know how to chain, HDC and DC. I'll explain how to do the Cluster stitch within the pattern. I'm using a J Hook (6.00 mm).

**Feel free to use this pattern for personal use or for profit. I only ask that you remember to give credit to me, Mary at Go Crochet Crazy, and link back to my blog page.**

"Flowers in Bloom" Scrapbuster Afghan

**This pattern would also make a lovely scarf if adjusted accordingly**

Ch 93 (crochet a wider chain for a larger blanket, but make sure your final chain number is divisible by 3)

Rows 1 - 3: Chain 2,, counts as first HDC. HDC in each stitch to the end of the row.

Row 4: Change colors. Chain 3. Skip 1 stitch. *DC, Ch 1, DC all in the next stitch. Skip 2 stitches*. Repeat from * to * until the last 2 stitches. DC, Ch 1, DC in second-to-last stitch. DC in last stitch.

**You'll use the Cluster stitch for the next row. To do this: YO, insert into the stitch, YO and draw through 2 loops. YO, insert into same stitch, YO, draw through, YO and draw through 3 loops. YO, insert again into the same stitch, YO, draw through, YO and draw through all 4 loops. 

Row 5: Switch colors. Ch 3. Skip first DC. *CL into next Ch 1 space to make a flower, Ch 2*. Repeat from * to * until last Ch 1 space. CL in Ch 1 space, then DC into last stitch.

Your work will look something like this.
Row 6: Switch back to same yarn used in Rows 1-3. Ch 2 (counts as first HDC). *HDC in top of CL. 2 HDC in Chain 2 space*. Repeat from * to * until last two stitches. HDC in CL, HDC into last stitch.

Row 7: Chain 2, counts as first HDC. HDC in each stitch all the way across.

Repeat Rows 4-7 until you crochet to the desired length. Add an additional row of HDC to make both ends of the afghan even. Finish off the edges with your favorite edging. I'll be using a scalloped edge.

Here's where I'm at so far with my scrapbuster project:

Since I'm also working on another project at this time, I anticipate needing a week or two to finish this afghan. I'll pop in and update with photos as I go along. Let me know if you decide to give this a try! Or tell me what scrapbuster projects you've enjoyed crocheting.

Project Update #1

I promised I'd return to update you on the progress of "Flowers in Bloom", my scrapbuster baby afghan project. I actually took a break from it one day to make Scrapbuster Cat Toys, which you can see here.

Since taking this picture two days ago, I've actually gotten another set of cream, green and flowers added. But this will give you a good idea of how it's turning out. Expect to see color variation in some places. As tempted as I was to go out and buy what I ran out of, I have continually reminded myself that this is a "scrapbuster project". So far, I'm loving how it's coming along.

What do you think? Do you have a favorite scrapbuster project?


Project Update #2

With great joy, I've taken this project off-the-hook today and will be able to present it to three-week-old Baby S later this afternoon (read more about it in this blog post). So, without further adieu, allow me to show you the finished product. What do you think?

Crocheting the last few scallops for the edge.
A gorgeous scrapbuster afghan created by Mary at the Go Crochet Crazy blog.
"Flowers in Bloom" is ready for its new home
**I'm excited to be participating in Oombawka Design's Link & Share Wednesday!**

20 comments:

  1. Actually, I'm going to be getting started on my own scrapbuster project (once I finish the cross stitch project). :P
    It's a full-size afghan, so it'll take a little while for me to complete. I have all kinds of scrap yarns in all colors. I want to coordinate the colors so it looks as pretty as possible.

    (Yes, Mary, I am multi-talented. I also want to learn more about beadwork!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear more about your scrapbuster afghan, Bobbie!

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty and looks like neat little rows of flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to post an update tomorrow, Amy! Just when I think I have a new favorite design, another one comes along. I'm really enjoying making this!

      Delete
  3. Hi. I lots of yarn to use up and I also can't justify buying new yarn. I really like your afghan, inspired me to finish the project I am on and make one.
    Kel ★

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, lovely to have you stop by! I'm glad you're feeling inspired to finish your current project. I hope you'll stop by and let me know when you've finished and how you do with the Flowers in Bloom afghan pattern. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this flowers in boom, inspirational, as soon as i am done on my current crochet project this is high on the list to try, thanks for sharing and for popping over to my blog too, it is apprciated, regares, Selma x
    http://eclectichomelife.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/brick-stitch-crochet-bag-just-cant-stop.html?showComment=1393542730092

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selma, let me know how it comes along when you try my Flowers in Bloom pattern!

      Delete
  5. I love this! Many of the crochet afghans I have seen are just a textural pattern, or waves, or pretty colors. I haven't seen one that actually creates a picture. I love that! Do you think it would be possible to have different colored flowers in each row, instead of the entire row being all the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely do different colors in one row if you're okay with all the yarn changes. The effect would be gorgeous, no doubt. But more work. If you give my pattern a try, please let me know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  6. The finished afghan is beautiful! I really like the ruffly edging and all the pretty rows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beca! It was such a pleasure to make. :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely! Great to be able to use up the yarn that gets left over from other projects.Thank you for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so pretty! The edging is so delicate. Thank you for sharing it on our Four Seasons Blog Hop. Pinning Now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawna, you're welcome! I hope you'll join in on my Link-a-Long started today! I look forward to reading your future blog posts!

      Delete
    2. Mary, we at the Four Seaons Blog Hop loved your Afghan pattern and it will be featured on this week's party. Hope you stop by and join in again. Below the regular party you can also link up your party which will be on all of our Four Seasons posts. Sorry we missed your party - we mostly do recipes, gardening and some DIY but not crocheting - is your party open to links other than crocheting??

      Delete
  9. Hi Mary, what a beautiful blanket you crocheted and so colorful. I saw at the 4 seasons party!
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! I've been using crochet to bring a little springtime into my life. :)

      Delete
  10. I love afghan baby blankets. If there is one thing that can influence my decision to have children earlier, it is these types of blankets. I want to be able to make one for my baby one day.
    Cynthia | http://myknittingsupplies.com/product-category/afghans-throws/

    ReplyDelete